Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Confusing the people of God

I am getting a little bit tired of people looking at me with their heads tilted and eyes narrowed, as they say, and I quote: "huh?"

Now I have recognized the irony of my particular position. I am preparing for a life of ministry, a career where, one might think, a difficulty in communicating might be seen as a detriment. I had one prof. last semester comment that he thought that I was "on the shyer side of things" a comment made funny by its understatement-ness. (one of the side effects of the study of theology is the awful habit of making up words without regard for tradition or grammar). That same prof. said he thought I was a little less incomprehensible than when he first met me, so perhaps there is hope for the vocationally minded wall flowers.

I've complained before about not knowing what is meant by "God's call" - this objection made worse by the painful fact that when looking at the ideal candidate for a career in ministry I am perhaps the perfect photo negative! Now I have told God that this was the case, that God had the wrong number, and that I was going home - and then I would have one of those moments that made me a hopeless devotee of this arcane theological enterprise. So despite the probable harm I shall inflict one day upon the helpless faithful, here I still am. May God have mercy on me!

No important point being made here, just my way of relieving my own angst. Though it would be interesting to know if there are out there other shy ministers - or are they all extroverts out there?

1 comment:

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Well, the majority of people in religious life are introverts--so you are in good company!

And there are plenty enough of God's messengers in the Bible that were reluctant to speak--God, it seems, tends to pick up the slack!