Monday, June 23, 2008

In the beginning....

I have decided for no reason in particular, besides the example of those I admire and would like to be like, to join in the bandwagon and write myself a blog. I suffer no illusions regarding the likely size of my audience, but I never let being ignored stop me in the past. Never mind, and damn the torpedoes!

I am a theological student on leave, taking this year to recollect my marbles! (By the bye, anyone want to hire a partially trained theologian/artist? I'm very cute....). Once I have found all my marbles - or have collected myself a new set, I shall return (twice as victorious!).

By way of justifying the bandwidth, I have been, in the course of this year long experiment looking a lot at discernment sites, and have noticed a discrepancy. On the one hand, it seems as if even a slight inclination towards the priesthood is proof positive of God's personal call to you. On the other, (mostly on sites about women priests being the final ruin for all of civilization!), no one has a right to the priesthood and merely having a feeling is insufficient reason to claim a call. Now I happen to know this less enthusiastic position is closer to "church teaching" - but surely it holds true for manly vocations too!

While we are at it, what precisely does a call from God look like? I have always had the vision of someone (usually Pat Robertson - I have deplorable viewing habits) having tea with God. God said that you were to give me a job at our last tea by the way!

Probably enough for one evening.

No comments: