Sunday, January 25, 2009

blah blah balk sheep...

Here I am, playing with those pencils again...

Welcome to the dearth of time, February. Those calender nerds will point out perhaps that it is in fact January, and I will point out that in fact I didn't ask them, and then they will hit me, and I will hit them back - and then the chairs and statuary....

What I am trying to say is that such inflexible thinking leads to violence and war, and it is time to stop in the name of peace!

I hope I do not disappoint my loyal reader (hi mom!), but what can I say. In the absence of rigorous tutelage, my brain is slowly disintegrating and melting out of my ears. By the way, if there is someone out there who is not my mom you should drop me a note, make me feel less lonely. I don't imagine there is, but we can always dream...

This is, I suspect, one of those meaningless activities, without which our lives would be meaningless! The rituals, the great vaults, the darkened stained glass windows, the gilded tabernacles - none of these truly hold reality now do they? It all at times seems so terribly trite; tacky shadows of a much grander reality perhaps. Or perhaps not, perhaps it is just wishful thinking that makes us think that there is some grander version of reality out there...

Yet these gauche sacraments are made sacred by what they hold in trust. They give that grander reality a space a place to breathe - to dream - to live, and breathe, and have its being. That is why, roll our eyes as we might at all the silly little ceremonies, don't most of us still participate in them? The lights go out and we all sing "happy birthday". Someone sneezes and we say "bless you" Why? The only answer seems to be, "because...."

Well Mom, or anyone else out there - what do you think?

1 comment:

the matriarch said...

Somehow my comment showed up on the previous posting -- I am new at this! (excuse? rationalization?)