Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Aquinas's treatment of Leviticus

It long past my bedtime, and yet I am here, watching Mother Angelica. Oops, not supposed to reveal questionable watching habits. Too late now. Before you know it, I will admit I own five Chick pamphelets (though my good friend, a Jew in good standing, owns, I believe, the whole set - so I am not that bad yet!)

That is, I admit, the nice thing about not being in school. Nobody cares. No one notices that reading the Torah puts me immediately to sleep - I don't much care what the proper treatment of skin sores with discharge is - nor what the appropriate sacrifice should be; or that I think Aquinas to be frightfully boring. As long as I am in confession mode, I don't really care what the original Greek manuscript of First Corinthians actually said. Actually those poor souls charged with teaching my Bible courses probably suspect that last point and for their pain I am truly sorry.

I don't mind imperfect liturgies, nor bad homilies, nor talkative teenagers, and I am happy not to hear the phrase: "It's a matter of proper catechesis" - translated: if only the people knew better like we do... Try living life once more as the dumb oxen in the pews, it makes liturgy far more enjoyable. All this is not to say I won't be glad to immerse myself in the artificial womb of academia, where I can once more dream up far fetched ways to save humanity from itself. Let's face it, it's fun!

You see, its a matter, not so much of proper catechesis, as much as it is a matter of properly humble expectations. If you go into Christmas expecting a diamond ring, the lump of coal you actually recieve is a bit disappointing. If you go in expecting a boot to the head, the lump of coal seems a nice respite. If my professors start the semester expecting a hard working, and well-spoken scholar - they are in for some small disappointment. It's all a matter of perspective you see!


That is all for now, for now I am sleepy. I must go read me some Bible, and take me some rest. There is so many more goals to fail to reach tomorrow. It makes me tired just thinking about it.

Peace y'all!

No comments: